The Harton S. Semple Trophy
U.S. Women’s Open Championship
Presented annually by the USGA since 1953
The U.S. Women’s Open is the premier championship in women’s golf. It was first conducted by the Women’s PGA from 1946 to 1948 and the LPGA from 1949 to 1952. Prior to the USGA taking over administration of the U.S. Women’s Open in 1953, champions received a trophy donated by the Spokane Athletic Round Table. The USGA declined the group’s offer to continue sponsorship and instead provided a sterling silver, two-handled trophy produced by J.E. Caldwell and Co. The original trophy was replicated in July 1992 by the family and friends of Harton S. Semple, who served as USGA president in 1974 and 1975, and it continues to represent the most prestigious title in the women’s game.